A word on fostering

Nine times out of ten, when someone learns that we are foster parents, the first thing out of their mouth is "I could never do that, I would get too attached and not want to give them back".  While I know what they are saying, I find it hard to no feel as though they think I am cold hearted and don't have a problem sending these children back when the time comes. 

Fostering has its highs and lows.  One day you think you have it all together, you are juggling parent visits, meetings with case workers, therapy and the next day you are just praying that you have not messed this kid up worse then when he came to you.  Then, sometimes, you get a message from a child that has left your home saying "I miss and love you" and at that moment in time, it all makes sense. 

We also hope to teach our own children to appreciate what they have because there are so many kids that would kill for what we take for granted.  Some don't even understand what it means to be married, or be part of a family.  I think it is safe to say that we have learned more from fostering than we have taught the kids we have had. 

I understand that being a foster parent isn't for everyone, but in the words of Mother Teresa:

When we judge others we leave no room to love them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Have I Got Myself Into Now?